Slipstream (integrate) Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) onto a base (or previous service pack) version of Windows XP (Home or Professional).
In order to ensure success with the slipstream process please perform all steps within this post on a computer running Windows XP (Home or Professional). Otherwise, as of April 27, 2008, Microsoft Volume License customers performing a clean install of Windows XP Professional SP3 from “slipstreamed” media created on computers running Windows Vista will receive an error message, “The Product Id you entered is not valid.” The error message appears even if you enter a valid volume license product key or leave the fields blank during Setup.
1. Obtain a Windows XP installation CD (or ISO image)
2. Install Windows XP on a local computer
3. Create two folders named XP-CD and XP-SP3, respectively in C:\
4. Copy the contents from your original Windows XP installation media to C:\XP-CD
3. Download and save the Windows XP SP3 network installation package from Microsoft’s Download Center to C:\XP-SP3
Assuming Windows XP has already been installed on a computer, then
1. Login into the computer as a user with administrator privileges
2. Open a Command Prompt
- Click on Start > All Programs > Accessories then “Command Prompt”
At the command prompt, type the following:
1. cd C:\XP-SP3
2. WINDOWSXP-KB936929-SP3-X86-ENU.EXE /integrate:C:\XP-CD